Wednesday 21 March 2012

Easy Ice-cream lemon and Vanilla Cupcakes .......x

In all the madness and busyness this week.....some cupcake making happened. For a class 1 cake sale......what do kids love? Cakes? Ice-creams? Lets put them together.............



Ice-cream Cupcakes.....

6oz unsalted butter.
6oz caster sugar.
6oz self raising flour.
half teaspoon of baking powder.
1 tablespoon vanilla extract.
3 free range eggs.
2 tablespoons of milk.

Pre-heat your oven to 200c........

Mix butter and sugar until light and creamy, then sift in your baking powder and flour, add the eggs, and vanilla extract and mix until well combined. Next add the milk, this give the batter a lovely creamy texture, and makes it easier to work with I find ( I always use milk in my basic cake recipes)

Now spoon in to cupcake cases....or if you are making these for little people, fairy cake cases would probably be better for them , as there is ALOT of icing to these cakes once finished.

Bake in the centre of your oven for around 15 minutes ( 10 if making smaller ones ) or until risen and lightly golden. You can always use a skewer to test the middle.

Leave on a wire rack to cool completely before adding.........

Lemon Icing.....

3.5 oz unsalted butter.
8 oz icing sugar sifted.
1 lemon.

This is a basic butter icing, but using lemon for flavouring. I find using the lemon makes for a nice smooth icing which will be a dream to pipe out.
I pop the butter and icing sugar in a mixer and blast for a few minutes, once combined, I then squeeze some lemon in and then mix again....be careful not to over mix. How much lemon you add is entirely up to your taste buds...we love lemon, so practically a whole one goes in.

Now using a piping bag ( disposable cheap ones can be found in most kitchen shops, or try the web )...and I simply cut the end off, filled the bag with icing and piped in an ice-cream manner...imagining I was a 1950's ice-cream lady....There's no need for fancy piping sets and bags here, I personally HATE swirly poo looking topped cakes ( sorry to put you off ), though this one demands a large swirl!

Add hundreds and thousands then using a flake chocolate bar, quarter it, and add 1 quarter of flake to each cupcake, pushing down through the icing into the cake to secure.....




Don a tea dress, curl your hair, add red lipstick.........and afternoon ice-cream style tea is ready...enjoy x

8 comments:

  1. Totally and utterly gorgeous! Did you see a new (part work) magazine that has just come out, the first is only 99p and has a fab cake stand with it.....bargain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum Yum Yum!!!! can i have some for my tum? hehe xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, very nice. they look lush! I'm yet to use my piping set. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look wonderful. I'll be 'borrowing' your idea. M x

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look so yummy...I had to laugh at your red lipstick comment....yesterday Mimi had a friend over and I had played dress up with them and put on red lipstick and my hair in a clip.....the girls said I could be in a commercial and I asked why not a movie star and they said you would never make t in show business....the honesty of children I laughed and then I forgot about my red lips and hubby came through the door and gave me quite a look.....all in a day of the commercial Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy they look scrummy!! Might have to try them with joshy! Xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow they look amazing! What a nice cakestand too, is it cardboard?
    Ellie
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum, they look lovely...we have a birthday tea party coming up, so that's another for the list!

    ReplyDelete